Parents Endorse Full-Day Kindergarten

End-of-Year Survey Shows High Satisfaction
Posted on 06/30/2017
Kindergarteners use large building blocks to create from their imagination

One year ago District 28 embarked on creating a full-day kindergarten program that offered students an enriching experience – one focused on exploration and curiosity to help develop the whole child.

Parent surveys and teacher reflection indicate the effort was a great success. Assistant Superintendent Dr. Kathy Horvath reported that 98 percent of parents who responded to an end-of-year survey agreed that the program was a balance of academics and play-based learning. And, 99 percent of respondents felt the program fostered their child’s curiosity.

“Full-day kindergarten isn’t about trying to put first grade academics into kindergarten,” Dr. Horvath said. “It’s about students being able to explore and create things. To have time to ask questions and find the answers.”

The survey – with 129 of 180 families responding – was used to help evaluate the new program. Of those who responded, 73 percent of families rated their student’s kindergarten experience as “exceptional,” and the other 27 percent rated it “enjoyable.”

The play-based learning concept was adapted from the work of Sue Kempton, a nationally renowned author and consultant who assisted the district in designing and equipping the classrooms.

Ninety-nine percent of families chose to participate in the full-day program by the end of the year.  

“Our teachers are so fabulous. They made this program great,” Dr. Horvath said.